In the 23-year period that the Land Rover Defender has been absent from the United States, it’s now back and better than ever. While the global release date is still many years away, the legendary SUV intends to meld off-road toughness with on-road elegance. It is somewhat more expensive to insure the Land Rover Defender because it is an off-road SUV.
On average, the average annual cost of insurance for a Defender is projected to be $2,760. The insurance cost-to-base ratio is 5.5 percent with a starting price of $49,900. At 4 percent, this is the same as the national average, although it is possible that the percentage may fluctuate based on each model’s many customization choices.
How do I compare insurance for the Defender?
Because of its off-road capabilities, the cost of insurance for the Defender will be slightly higher. But it will be cheaper to own as an SUV, even though SUVs are typically more expensive than equivalent pickups.
In addition to these criteria, other elements influence the Defender’s charges.
- Body type. A tiny or medium SUV developed for off-roading, the Defender. Sedans and pickup trucks are cheaper to insure, while SUVs usually enjoy lower insurance rates than sedans or pickup trucks. Off-road vehicles, however, are more expensive even if you don’t venture off-road.
- Fuel. At the time of writing, no official mpg figures have been revealed, although it appears that the Defender may get up to 28 mpg. Competitor off-road vehicles would be much more expensive. The sole downside is that electric motors and battery parts necessitate greater repair costs, resulting in higher rates.
- Theft rates. About 6% of the cars that are stolen in the US are Land Rovers. Because no official rates on this Defender model are available for a few years, the rate decrease will be very severe.
- Maintenance. Due to the regular maintenance and pricey parts, Land Rovers are one of the most expensive cars to maintain. Although it’s not very likely to compensate for the increased insurance costs, the Defender’s off-road capability should enhance its reliability.
- Coverage. The standard model starts at $49,900, but the customization options let you select coverage that will cost over $100,000, making this the most-covered vehicle of its kind. In addition to collision and comprehensive coverage, it offers limitations for excessive liability. Additionally, ensure that your uninsured motorist property damage policy limits are appropriate.
- Warranty. Land Rover has made a baseline four-year, 50,000-mile warranty standard on all of its new cars, and gives customers the option to extend it for an additional five years. With this warranty, you can delay purchasing a supplemental vehicle insurance policy until your warranty expires.
- Manufacturer offer. Several special deals on the Defender, such as low APRs and cashback offers, are expected to be offered. You may discover the most favorable price by contacting your local dealership.
Does the Land Rover Defender qualify for discounts?
For the Land Rover Defender, if you choose a specific model, your insurance provider will determine the details of any savings that you may be eligible for.
- Passive restraint discount
- Anti Lock brake discount
- Airbag discount
- Antitheft discount
- Seatbelt pretensioners
Ready to get started?
We’ve got you covered.
How reliable is the Land Rover Defender?
- Not until the car has been put on the market will the official ratings be published for the Defender.
- Safety. Land Rover’s top engineer has said that the company is striving for a five-star safety rating. We’re following all the established procedures for this grade, but the car is not yet ready for market.
- Reliability. Reliability is rarely a strong suit for Land Rover, a car manufacturer. It will be some time before the ratings for the 2020 Defender are published.
- Recalls. A few recalls have been issued by Land Rover in the past. While the Defender is a newer model, it’s possible that your model might be subject to a recall.
The 2014 Land Rover Defender, a more capable version of the original, will be on sale in the United States. Estimated insurance premiums will be about average, while the premium for more costly models will be below the national average.
Consider many insurance providers when searching for a suitable policy for your new Defender.
Check out our review of Jeep Wrangler Insurance Cost for one more car insurance review.