Kemper offers competitive prices for candidates with complex driving records — but bad customer reviews may steer safe drivers away.
Kemper Auto Insurance Pros and Cons
- Kemper offers a variety of insurance products that may be combined.
- Drivers with clean records as well as those with questionable backgrounds might obtain inexpensive rates.
- Kemper does not have a telematics program.
- Kemper does provide a mobile application, but its capabilities are restricted, and its website is sparse.
Kemper car insurance review
Kemper Insurance is licensed to provide insurance in 28 states in the United States. It was founded in 1990 as Unitrin and acquired the rights to the Kemper brand in 2010. Kemper is a tiny operation in comparison to some of the insurance industry’s behemoths, but that does not preclude it from giving cheap rates to all types of drivers, including those who may be deemed high-risk by other insurers.
Continue reading for an in-depth look at Kemper’s insurance coverage choices — both car and home — as well as discounts — to see whether it’s a suitable fit for your insurance requirements.
- Customer satisfaction (J.D. Power) — Not rated
- Financial Strength —Excellent. AM Best gave Kemper’s fiscal backing an A- rating. This indicates a strong ability to pay out claims.
- NAIC Rating — Poor. According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, Kemper had more customer complaints than the national market median.
Ready to get started?
We’ve got you covered.
Kemper car insurance coverage options
Along with conventional coverages such as comprehensive, collision, liability, medical payments, and uninsured/underinsured motorist, Kemper allows consumers to customize their plans. The following are some optional enhancements to a Kemper insurance contract.
If you are involved in an accident that results in substantial damage to your vehicle, this coverage will compensate you for the replacement value of your vehicle, rather than the normal actual cash value (ACV), which may be less than you anticipate due to depreciation. Kemper will pay to repair or replace your car, whichever is less expensive. The sole restriction is that this coverage is offered exclusively on newly leased or purchased vehicles.
Gap coverage, often known as vehicle loan/lease coverage, protects you financially in the event of a total loss. It will cover the remaining balance on your car loan or lease if the payout — calculated using the ACV — is insufficient to cover the whole amount owed. If you choose Kemper TotalTM, gap insurance is automatically included.
Combine optional — but helpful — coverages such as accident forgiveness, travel interruption, key replacement, personal property protection, decreasing deductible, and deductible waiver (if your parked car is damaged).
Kemper auto insurance discounts and reward opportunities
Kemper’s savings are comparable to those given by other big insurance companies. Bear in mind that discounts differ by state and whether you are classified as a preferred, standard, or non-standard customer.
Discounts based on your insurance policy
- Multi-policy. Sign up for several policies to receive a discount. Kemper provides a combined car and homeowner’s policy called Package Plus, which includes enhanced house coverage and the convenience of having all of your insurance on one statement.
- Paid-in-full. Pay in one single amount for the duration of the insurance to qualify for this discount.
- Prior insurance. Kemper provides a discount to non-standard clients who keep their insurance valid and do not allow it to lapse.
- Advanced quote discount. If you obtain a quotation and choose to proceed with an application before the quote’s effective date, you will be eligible for a discount.
Discounts based on the driver or vehicle
- Multi-car. To qualify for this popular discount, you must have more than one car listed on your policy.
- Military discount. This discount is available to active duty military and members of the National Guard.
- Good student. Maintain a high grade point average to qualify for a student discount.
- Driver training. Take a defensive driving course to see if you can save money on your insurance.
- Residence. Homeowners and renters insurance policyholders may qualify for discounts on their Kemper auto coverage.
Kemper vehicle insurance was rated poorly in nearly every aspect of automobile insurance. They did, however, always earn a star rating of 4.0 or higher, suggesting that, while they did not perform well versus the other carriers surveyed, they consistently received a star rating of 4.0 or higher from respondents.
You may check out our review of Grange Insurance.