AAA is most known for its Auto Club memberships, but it also provides insurance to its members in most of the United States.
Overall, we discovered that auto and homeowners insurance prices are on the low end of the spectrum and that the offers are especially enticing to AAA Auto Club members.
Because the AAA name is sold by various firms, the specific pricing, coverage, and services available vary substantially by location.
Who is AAA?
There are dozens of AAA Auto Clubs throughout the United States, and many of them offer several types of insurance, including auto, homeowners, and life, among others.
AAA Auto Clubs are independently run organizations with varying degrees of connection with one another, and so are their insurance arms. This means that the discounts, benefits, and coverage options can vary significantly by location, and the only way to be sure of what’s available in your area is to contact your local office.
In some places, “AAA” simply acts as a broker, where the company collects your information and refers you to another insurer, like Progressive or State Farm, to actually sell you insurance. When AAA acts as a broker, you still receive discounts for being a AAA member. This process is especially common for homeowners insurance.
What Is AAA Auto Insurance?
AAA sells auto insurance directly in most places, and we found their policies to be better than average in terms of cost and benefits, with well-regarded customer service and a smooth claims process.
AAA homeowners insurance, for customers who can get it, offers affordable rates but a relatively small variety of coverage options. AAA homeowners insurance is not available in as many locations as their auto insurance policies, and in some places, it is only available if you bundle it with auto coverage. Bundling these policies can lead to some significant savings on both, so it’s worth getting a quote if you’re already considering AAA for your car insurance.
AAA insurance policies almost always require customers to be AAA Auto Club members to purchase coverage. But in exchange, AAA insurance typically offers a discount to your policy that covers or exceeds the cost of an Auto Club membership.
In this sense, you can think of AAA Auto Club membership benefits as being part of your AAA insurance policy, as many of the benefits an AAA Auto Club membership provides are sometimes provided by an automobile insurance policy. For example, AAA Auto Club members receive roadside assistance, which other insurance companies offer for an additional fee.
AAA has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, and the groups with whom it brokers policies have an Excellent financial strength rating from A.M Best, indicating that it is a firm that is likely to pay insurance claims. Along with high ratings, AAA members receive a variety of discounts on vehicle coverage, life insurance, and other insurance products.
Ready to get started?
We’ve got you covered.
AAA Pros and Cons
- AAA provides several different types of insurance bundles, such as house, vehicle, life, and pet insurance.
- AAA membership comes with a host of extra perks.
- Drivers under age 35 show a very high level of customer trust in the company.
- a variety of discounts
- If you are searching for more extensive or specific insurance, you may want to check elsewhere.
AAA Auto Insurance Reviews
The only people who can get vehicle insurance via AAA are AAA club members. Each grade of automobile insurance offered by the organization is essential to fulfilling state minimums (liability, collision, comprehensive coverage, etc.). Some of AAA’s most distinctive auto insurance coverage solutions for motorists are presented here, alongside some typical costs.
- Claims satisfaction. J.D. Power’s 2020 claims satisfaction assessment gave AAA below-average scores.
- Customer satisfaction. Average: AAA’s customer service satisfaction score with J.D. Power was in the middle of the pack in its research from 2021.
- Financial strength. Superior: AAA’s A+ credit rating from A.M Best makes it easy to determine that the firm is stable financially.
- Claims satisfaction. (NAIC) — Poor: The NAIC registered more complaints than the national median about AAA members.
Where is AAA auto insurance available?
All 50 U.S. states and Washington, D.C., have AAA vehicle insurance available.
AAA car insurance coverage options
Standard coverage choices including liability coverage (both personal injury and property damage), comprehensive and collision, and uninsured/underinsured coverage are offered by AAA vehicle insurance. AAA members also enjoy a range of additional endorsements that may be added to your insurance policy, as well as many other perks. Look below for a wide range of AAA offerings, but remember that certain alternatives might not be accessible in every state.
- Accident forgiveness: This insurance coverage is optional or standard depending on your place of residence. Your insurance premiums won’t rise after your first at-fault collision if you join AAA.
- Extended car rental expenses coverage: Even if your automobile repair work isn’t done, many insurance providers will limit your rental coverage to the time limit of your rental car. Your rental car expenses will be covered by AAA’s coverage while your automobile is repaired.
- Pet coverage: If your pet is hurt in a vehicle crash, AAA can help cover its vet expenses up to $500.
- 12-month policy: One year of certainty on your rates is offered by this option.
- New vehicle replacement: For one year after the first accident, AAA will provide a new automobile in exchange for your totaled car. New automobile replacement insurance is an interesting topic to study.
- Limited loan/lease payoff: If your car is wrecked in a covered accident, AAA will pay the remaining balance of your loan or lease. This is also known as gap insurance. You could have to replace the motor if the amount of the claim check is less than the value of the car due to depreciation.
AAA roadside assistance
AAA roadside assistance is its specialty. You may purchase it either as an additional coverage option or as a standalone option. AAA’s roadside assistance program is tiered, offering greater advantages for the top tier.
Look into how AAA’s roadside assistance is like the other suppliers in the industry.
AAA’s non-vehicle-related membership incentives differ from those of other insurance providers. Tiers like AAA’s roadside assistance are utilized.
AAA car insurance discounts
A variety of benefits are available to AAA members. Some of the best strategies for saving money are listed here.
- Multi-policy discount: You may save 9 to 22 percent on your vehicle insurance if you combine it with renters, homeowners, condo, or life insurance coverage.
- Multi-vehicle: By securing insurance for all your cars with AAA, you will get a 26% discount on your rate.
- Advanced purchase: You’ll get a 5% discount if you pay your membership and premium payments more than seven days in advance of your policy’s expiration date.
- Longevity: To get a 12% reduction on AAA premiums, you have to transfer from your existing insurer after having been with them for three consecutive years.
- Paid in full: You can get a 5 percent reduction on your insurance if you pay in full before your insurance period starts.
- Original owner: You can save 5% on your rate if you are the first owner of your car.
- Good student: You might save 15 percent on some coverage choices if you’re a good student.
- Driver training: If you take a certified driver’s education course, AAA may cut your rate by as much as 3% on some coverage options.
AAA Auto Insurance vs. Competitors
Rates by Company : Average Monthly Premium
- AAA. $151 Dollars
- Geico. $100 Dollars
- AllState. $169 Dollars
- Nationwide . $119 Dollars
- National Average. $129 Dollars
Where is AAA auto insurance cheapest?
In these five states, AAA’s auto insurance rates are one of the cheapest providers.
- California. $145
- Michigan. $183
- Indiana. $85
- Minnesota. $90
- Utah. $92
Can I cancel AAA insurance in the middle of my policy term?
Yes. The AAA can be canceled whenever you choose. AAA enables members to terminate their policies at any time throughout their terms. Though it is critical to first obtain another insurance policy in order to avoid a gap in coverage, you should not terminate your coverage until you have done so. Before canceling your AAA membership, begin comparing prices and acquiring a new policy. You may avoid higher insurance premiums or, in the case of car insurance, higher fines from your state’s DMV by using this strategy.
How to cancel AAA insurance
To terminate your AAA insurance, either visit your local AAA office or call 1-877-387-8378. A representative or an agent can advise you whether or not you’re subject to any early cancellation costs or whether you are owed a refund on already paid premiums. Before you terminate your existing insurance coverage, be sure that you have a new policy in place.
Here’s how to terminate your AAA coverage:
- Provide your policy number and other customer details
- Request that your contract and any recurring payments be canceled effectively immediately
- Answer any follow-up questions honestly
- Request that a confirmation email be sent
AAA insurance online features
The online services offered by AAA insurance are developed to meet the needs of today’s customers. AAA provides its customers with a simple-to-use website via which they may estimate, claim, and pay for their premiums. You will be asked to input your ZIP code to find your local AAA club.
Additionally, AAA provides applications for mobile devices. See our following summary of characteristics.
AAA Auto Club
Customers may have access to insurance policy details, insurance quotes, and online bill pay using the Auto Club app (both for membership and insurance premiums). In addition, this app is necessary to participate in AAA’s telematics program. The app provides additional details, such as:
- Hotel and flight booking
- Trip planner
- Traffic conditions
- Battery replacement quotes
- Approved auto repair facilities
- Cheapest gas prices in your area
- Locations of member branch offices
This software is built mainly for AAA members. The AAA has a roadside help program for members which is separate from auto insurance. You may want to investigate additional features of the AAA Mobile app, as you can see below.
- Discount information (hotels, restaurants and more)
- Hotel and rental car booking
- AAA approved repair facilities
- Battery replacement quotes
- A scannable, digital membership card that can be added to Passbook