American Family Insurance maintains a favorable rating in comparison to other insurance providers while paying claims reliably. While American Family does not provide as many extra coverage add-ons and endorsements as other carriers, it compensates with many savings. American Family auto insurance may be an excellent choice if you’re searching for a dependable motor policy that includes collision and comprehensive coverage.
Pros and Cons of American Family
- American Family provides a variety of savings on vehicle insurance coverage.
- The firm also offers numerous other types of insurance, which may be combined to save money.
- American Family’s mobile app is simple to use and includes features like tracking claim progress, scheduling payments, and calling roadside help.
- Because American Family does not offer a comprehensive list of extra coverage enhancements or endorsements for vehicle policies, customers with more sophisticated insurance needs should continue their research.
- While homeowners rated American Family vehicle insurance positively, renters rated this provider below average in our Customer Satisfaction Survey.
About American Family
American Family Insurance Company, commonly referred to as AmFam, was formed in 1927. Initially, the firm supplied solely vehicle insurance. Beyond property and liability insurance, American Family today offers a full portfolio of insurance products, including life, health, and commercial insurance for businesses.
American Family Ratings
- Claims satisfaction (J.D. Power) — Below average: American Family is rated below average by J.D. Power for total claim satisfaction.
- Customer satisfaction (J.D. Power) — Excellent: American Family got the highest overall customer satisfaction rating among midsized insurers in a J.D. Power report published in 2021.
- Financial strength — Excellent: The solid financial position of the American Family, as assessed by AM Best, demonstrates its stability and dependability.
- NAIC Rating — Good: In 2020, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) received fewer complaints about American Family’s insurance products than the industry average.
Ready to get started?
We’ve got you covered.
American Family car insurance coverage options
With the American Family of Madison, Wisconsin, you can expect to receive all of the standard auto insurance coverage options:
- bodily injury liability
- uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage
- personal injury protection (PIP)
- medical expenses coverage.
Additional policy features and options available with an American Family auto insurance coverage are discussed below. These are often included choices in a wide variety of vehicle insurance packages.
Lease/loan gap coverage
If you lease your automobile — or took out a loan for it — and are involved in an accident that results in the entire loss of your vehicle, you can expect to be compensated by your insurance carrier for the vehicle’s actual cash worth, less depreciation. American Family’s gap insurance coverage covers the difference, so you don’t have to pay out-of-pocket for the remainder of your loan or lease on a car you can’t drive.
Emergency road service 24/7
Emergency road service delivers on its promise – it provides peace of mind in the event that your vehicle experiences unforeseen mechanical or operational difficulties while on the road. American Family offers 24-hour assistance and also covers the cost of towing if your vehicle has to be towed to a repair.
Rental car reimbursement coverage
American Family will pay the cost of a rental automobile while your damaged vehicle is being repaired following an accident, as long as you adhere to the company’s rental car coverage per day and per-incident limits.
American Family car insurance discounts
When shopping for a new vehicle insurance coverage, always consider the discounts offered by an insurance provider and determine if you qualify for any. American Family Insurance Company provides a range of discounts and money-saving initiatives to assist offset the expense of your monthly premium.
Discounts based on your insurance policy
- Multi-policy: Bundling several policies (for example, vehicle and homes insurance) earns you a small premium savings.
- Multi-car: You may save money by adding additional vehicles to your coverage. Additionally, it eliminates the trouble of managing several premiums.
- Early bird: If you obtain a quotation from American Family at least seven days prior to the effective date of your policy with another insurance provider, you may qualify for a discount.
- Steer into Savings: AmFam offers a discount to new clients who transfer from a rival insurance provider to an American Family automobile insurance policy.
- Loyalty: A loyalty discount may be given to your premium based on the length of time you’ve been an American Family policyholder.
- Billing: To save money, pay your subscription in full and enroll in autopay and paperless billing.
Discounts based on safety
- Low mileage: This discount may be available if you drive less than 7,500 miles each year.
- Auto safety equipment: Depending on the state in which you live, you may anticipate a discount of between 10% and 30% if your automobile comes equipped with safety features such as factory-installed airbags.
- Defensive driver: If you are over 55 years old, have completed an American Family-approved defensive driving course, and reside in a qualifying state, you may qualify for a 5-10% discount on your auto insurance.
- Good driving: Possess an impeccable driving record? American Family acknowledges this by offering a discounted pricing premium.
- Know Your Drive program: In select states, participate in American Family’s telematics program and receive an introductory 5% discount. Once installed, the app monitors and assesses your driving behavior in order to assist you in becoming a safer, more defensive driver. Depending on your driving record, you may qualify for a discount of up to 20% on your vehicle insurance.
Discounts for young drivers
- Good student: American Family rewards students with a student discount.
- Away at school: American Family rewards students with a student discount.
- Volunteer work: If you’re under the age of 25, volunteering at least 40 hours per year at a non-profit earns you a reduced auto coverage.
- Generational: If one of your parents is an American Family client, you will receive a discount for your generational devotion.
- Teen Safe Driver program: If your coverage includes a young driver, you may qualify for a discount by joining in this telemetry program. In your teen’s vehicle, an in-car gadget that detects irregular driving behaviors such as swerving, abrupt accelerations, and forceful braking is fitted. Once activated, it captures both inside and outside the vehicle and sends the film to a center where expert driving trainers evaluate it. Parents may see and evaluate their adolescent driver’s weekly report card and driving performance evaluation (s).
American Family vs. Competitors
Average Monthly Rates
- American Family. $117
- AAA. $161
- Allstate. $170
- GEICO. $94
- Progressive. $104
- Farmers. $131
- Nationwide. $90
- State Farm. $108
How to cancel an American Family policy
To terminate your American Family coverage, you must contact your insurance agent. If you do not have your agent’s contact information readily available, you can utilize AmFam’s agent locator feature online or through your MyAmFam mobile app.
Your agent will execute your termination and ensure that all relevant documents are received by both you and the insurer. Customers who desire to cancel their policies may also contact customer support at 1-800-MYAMFAM (1-800-692-6326), where a representative may link you to your agent or initiate the cancellation process on your behalf.
Can I cancel my American Family policy online?
While the agent locating tool is available online, in order to cancel your policy, you must contact a representative.
Check out our review of Allstate Insurance Review for one more car insurance review.