The 2020 R1S is Rivian’s second vehicle, following the R1T truck. Additionally, it is one of the first electric SUVs designed with off-roading in mind. For the Rivian R1S insurance cost is estimated to cost between $275 and $325 per month, or around $3,600 per year. Using the lowest base cost of $72,500, the R1S has a cost-to-base ratio of less than 5%, which is somewhat higher than the national average. This means that insurance costs are comparatively low in comparison to the vehicle’s high sticker price.
How do I compare insurance for the R1S?
For the Rivian R1S insurance cost are projected to be comparable to those for other premium SUVs.
- Body type. As an SUV, the Rivian R1S insurance cost should be less expensive than the Rivian R1T truck. SUVs are usually involved in fewer and less serious collisions than trucks.
- Fuel. The R1S is an all-electric SUV that will save you money on petrol but will cost you a little extra in insurance. The range is estimated to be between 240 and 410 miles, depending on the battery type used.
- Theft rates. Due to the fact that electric vehicles have a lower theft rate than gas-powered vehicles, you may expect theft to be a non-factor in the R1S’s insurance premiums.
- Maintenance. Electric cars typically have cheaper maintenance costs than gasoline-powered vehicles, however average maintenance costs for Rivian’s vehicles are unknown at this moment. Reduced maintenance equates to decreased repair costs and insurance premiums.
- Coverage. With a sticker price of between $72,500 and $90,000, you may want to consider greater coverage limits for your new vehicle, as well as collision and comprehensive coverage to defend against the majority of forms of damage. Underinsured motorists may also be a viable option for such a costly vehicle.
- Warranty. At the time of writing, Rivian had not yet released its warranty details. For the first few years of your warranty, several manufacturers provide roadside assistance, which eliminates the need to add towing to your insurance.
- Manufacturer offer. Additionally, Rivian has not disclosed any information on a prospective manufacturer offer, indicating that this is not an area where you can expect to save money.
Does the Rivian R1S qualify for discounts?
The Rivian R1S qualifies for several discounts, however the precise savings depend on the model you choose and on the insurance company you are with.
- Electric vehicle discount
- Anti Lock brake discount
- Antitheft discount
- Daytime running headlights
- Airbag discount
- Passive restraint discount
- Seatbelt pretensioners
Ready to get started?
We’ve got you covered.
How reliable is the Rivian R1S?
Before the R1S and R1T, Rivian never issued any vehicle, and therefore official safety and dependability rates have not yet been established for the car. Official statistics and ratings are expected to be provided within one to two years following the R1S.
- Safety. Rivian claimed that in addition to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s 5-star safety certification, it would attempt to get the Top Safety Pick Plus of Highway Safety Institute insurance. It did not have any official ratings at the time this was written.
- Reliability. Rivian designs and markets the R1S as a strong, on- and off-road SUV. It takes up to 1 year after the R1S is launched to obtain official ratings from firms such as J.D. Power and US News and World Report.
- Recalls. Rivian hasn’t published a vehicle yet, therefore it’s not known if this model has any recall problems.
The R1S 2020 is one of Rivian’s first on- and off-road electric SUVs to be constructed, and only the second vehicle made by car manufacturers following the R1T. The insurance is projected to run from $275 to $325 a month that is in line with the other SUVs on the market at the same price but well above the majority of cars.
Since a new car manufacturer’s R1T is a new vehicle, insurance prices might vary significantly between insurance providers. Before making a decision of your Rivian R1S insurance cost, make sure to compare multiple firms.
Check out our review of Range Rover Insurance Rates.